(P.S. This is a really, really long free write, and I’m not
gonna proof read, so... sorry! :P)
Alright people. I have to say, I probably enjoyed writing
the first couple blogs more than I’m gonna enjoy writing this one, cause now
there are all these high expectations of interesting stuff I’m supposed to be
sharing and I dunno if it’s gonna live up to that. Also it’s 5am, so don’t
judge. (Worse comes to worse the blog isn’t entertaining which means I’m off
the hook for writing it anymore! hehe)
Okay, SO, total travel time from
Cambodia to Vermont was 48 hours. Forty-eight hours of hell. Sovann was so hungover the morning we had to leave
Siem Reap. (He got coined; last time that’s gonna happen for awhile!) I wasn’t
really hungover, but had gotten 3 hours of sleep, so that was no good. We had
to go overland to Bangkok, wait for our flight which was at 3am, and then we
were off (feeling a bit better, but still.) So, this wasn’t the first plane
ride ever for Sovann - we flew from Bangkok to Chiang Mai once – but that was
like a 40 minute flight. This time we had a 7+ hour flight to Kuwait (where
Sovann noted “Everyone here is Indian!” and I suggested that actually a lot of
them were probably Kuwaiti; he was intrigued by that notion) and then a 13 and
a half hour flight to JFK. (And then a 7 hour layover and a quick flight to
Burlington.) The flights and everything were okay (lots of rice served for
Sovann), just fucking long. Immigration and customs were fine (except a customs
officer asking me if Sovann was my son! Wtf??)
In JFK
I resigned myself to buying a $7 (plus tax, novel concept) meal of chicken
wings to split – caught myself handing
the cashier money with my hand touching my elbow in the polite Asian way, a
habit I can say goodbye to now. I taught Sovann the name and value of different
coins, something I hadn’t thought of before. Oh, and I showed him what a water
fountain was. (“Everyone puts their mouth on the same thing!?” “Well not on the
actual metal!”) So, the obvious question is “How did it feel to be back in
America?” and although airports are kinda weird and so they don’t really count
as being in a country, there were some things I’d already noticed and found...
comforting. I saw American commercials on TV, something I haven’t seen in forever, and although I’m sure I’ll be
sick of them soon, I actually found them kind of entertaining. There were
officials who spoke (fluent) English – people who could give me straight-forward
answers that I understood! (Well, that’s not always true, we kept being told to
move to different immigration lines when I told different officers that he had
a fiance visa. Turns out not everything in America is very organized either!) At
one point in the airport I went in the bathroom, looked at myself in the mirror,
and thought, “Oh no, my friends are gonna tell me how fat I’ve gotten!” And
then I remembered, nope, that won’t happen here! They might think it, but at
least I won’t have to hear the reminder :P And when we stepped off the plane
into the cold air for a moment, there was somehow some comfort in that too. It’s
so funny – cold, cold air completely surrounding my body hadn’t happened in so
long – almost three years really... it felt so novel, but familiar at the same
time. So anyway, there were a few little oddities that I enjoyed. I know most
of you are more looking forward to hearing Sovann’s impressions, and don’t
worry, they’re coming later...
So, at
the Burlington airport, friends and family were there to greet us! Oh my god,
it was so great. Sovann commented that one of my friends (Dan, 6’9”) was taller
than his house. Haha, not true, but he seemed pretty convinced. Then Sovann and
I, Skyler (my brother), and three of my friends (from high school) went to
Denny’s. Welcome to America! :P I managed to find something on the menu that
Sovann enjoyed – Tilapia – and I ate his mashed potatoes covered with melted cheese. Mmmmm. I found myself very incompetent
at the restaurant. Well, first I completely missed the door, but that was just
a fluke. What I found disturbing is that I didn’t know how to politely get the
waiters’ attention. I kept wanting to gesture for them to come over from across
the room, but it seemed wrong. And when they didn’t come for awhile, I just wanted to stand up, walk over to them,
and put in my order, which also seemed a little off. And Sky gave me shit for
asking if the pitcher of water was free (you gotta pay for water in most restaurants
in the Reaper!)
So,
then to the house! On the way Sovann immediately commented on how clean this
country is. Wondered if he would notice the lack of trash; apparently yes. He
also noted how nice all of the houses are. He said he thought the driving laws seemed
the same as in Cambodia – and when I thought about it, I think he’s right, it’s
just that nobody actually follows them in Cambodia. When we got the house I was
reminded of how beautiful it is, and Sovann definitely thought so too. Big
kitchen, comfortable couches, an awesome bed. Sovann said it’s such a big house
– I can’t wait to show him what an actually-big
American house looks like! So anyway, Sovann called his mom and then made some
rice. He tried a lemon for the first time! So funny, they call limes lemons in
Cambodia, but he had never actually seen a lemon. He said it tastes the same as
a lime. I tried American milk, because I was curious how it would taste now
that I’m used to strange Cambodian milk, and it definitely tasted bland. Sovann
commented on how squeaky the floors are – something you don’t hear much in
Cambodian houses. We went to sleep at about 3:30 or 4am.
The
next morning, I woke up at 6am, thinking about how screwed I would be screwed
trying to stay up the rest of the day to fight off jet lag. (Spoiler alert, I
actually stayed up until 8pm with no nap and almost no caffeine!) Oh wait,
rewind a little bit, I forgot to touch on one very important subject: the cold weather!
Sovann’s so amazing; he walked to and from the car multiple times (at the
airport, the restaurant, and the house) with a T-shirt and flip-flops! What a
trooper. I asked him yesterday what the most surprising or unexpected thing has
been so far and he said the cold weather – even after all our warning him about
how ridiculously cold it would be! And for Vermont, this isn’t even that bad.
But yeah, I’m sure nobody’s surprised that he’s
surprised by the cold!
Anyway,
that morning was awesome. I had the best shower ever with actual strong water
pressure! I had an apple that tasted like a delicious apple! (Had an orange
later; mmmm.) I drank water out of the tap; how strange! Went to the bathroom
with no “bum gun”; how gross. Sovann woke up a little later and told Sara (my
aunt) how he wished his girlfriend was a man (...awkward silence...) because
then he could wrestle/fight with me in the morning to warm up. A little later this
was our conversation: (Me:) “Did you take a shower?” “Yeah.” “You know how to
work it?” “No.” “So... how’d you take a shower?” “I used the sink.” So I taught
him how to use the actual shower :P Later he tried some cat food and thought it
was delicious, so we’ve decided we’ll stock up on some when we go to Costco.
Turkey and gravy flavored, and cheap compared to human food! Yum.
Soo
that morning we got to see Nin & Poppy (my grandparents) which was awesome!
They brought us to a grocery store and we bought some food – I asked Sovann
what he thought of the store and he said “Weird.” “Weird how?” “It’s like... a
Western grocery store.” Ha, that’s all he could articulate at the moment. We drove
to the house and as the garage door opened (triggered by the remote in the car)
Sovann perked up and alarmingly asked, “Who opened that!?” :) We had some
salmon there - yum! Sovann was happy to cook some rice and the salmon skin to
eat. I went shopping with Nin to get bras (yes!! so sick of bras that fall
apart in two months, even if they are only three dollars) and pants (thank god,
I only had one pair of long pants and they’re my dad’s!) Then we went downtown
with my brother and got to see Jenny (his fiancee) for a few minutes and walk
around town. Sovann asked (a couple times) if there were always so many people
walking around town like that – I guess there aren’t many places in Siem Reap
with a lot of people, other than tourists, wandering about. He also said “I
never see the teenagers fight here” which I find strange because I’ve never
really seen that in Siem Reap either. He noted that none of the trees have any
leaves, which I explained will change in summer (oh my god, I can’t wait for
him to see autumn foliage!!) Oh, and we discovered a new American food that Sovann
actually likes: bologna! But poor Sovann’s stomach has been bad lately – some
things never change I guess :(
Anyway,
a little later we met my friends downtown – so good to see them! It was
actually funny, I met Kayla who’s one of my best friends but when I first saw
her I like... forgot to get excited or even remember that this was the first
time I hadn’t seen her in forever. I think it’s a reflection of how I feel
being here with friends and family: it’s just so easy to pick up where you left
off, almost like you’ve never been gone. I think that’s a sign of a really good
friend. So then we went to Tiny Thai, a Thai restaurant in town. This brings up
another topic: my (or our) realization of people’s (Americans’) geographical
ignorance. But I don’t mean ignorance with a negative connotation, as that
would be hypocritical because I’m super bad with geography too... like, embarrassingly
so. And lots of people in Cambodia don’t even know that there’s an ocean
between the US and Europe, so I’m really not one to judge. It’s just new for us
that we’re in a place where people aren’t familiar with Asian... stuff. Like in
the Kuwait airport a worker who was checking our passports asked where Cambodia
was – Sovann tried to tell her “Angkor Wat country” but of course that didn’t
ring any bell for her either. And when we were deciding where to go to eat my
friends suggested a place nearby which they thought was Vietnamese but once we
got there we realized was Chinese (which Sovann doesn’t like.) Ehh, Vietnamese,
Chinese, same same but different. And when we were on our way to the Thai
restaurant Kayla asked “What kind of food does Tiny Thai have?” Haha. So, Sovann
got Tom Yam with rice (his favorite) – he said was good which I was thankful
for cause I was afraid they would Americanize the dish too much so he wouldn’t
like it, but no problem. Oh, and a note on prices: so I know some of you worry
that we’re gonna be blown away (and in pain) because of prices here. And while
I’m definitely not thrilled on spending $7 on a meal (plus tip and tax which
adds up! the Tom Yam was actually reasonably priced, but then the rice was $2!
crazy), I think we’ve mentally prepared really well so we’re not totally dying. Like, in Cambodia we kept
telling him the price of ridiculously expensive things, so now when I make him
guess how much something costs he actually overestimates.
Soo, we
got to bed at about 8 last night, woke up 3am this morning. I felt a little
homesick, missing Cambodia, but I didn’t wanna let Sovann on in case it would
make him feel upset too. (I asked him yesterday if he was homesick, he said
just a little bit.) Then at about 6 I went in the hot tub!! Sovann wanted to go
too but it was too hot for him. Haha, he doesn’t even shower in hot water so he’s
sensitive to it. Anddd today we have a lot to do, but I’ll probably write about
it later so I’ll spare you for now.
Two
things I want to touch on: Sovann really likes my family and friends, he says
they’re all really kind, which of course they are. :) It’s funny to see him so
shy though – I’m sure he’ll warm up, but for now he’s been pretty quiet around
them. Well, plus we speak pretty fast most of the time (let alone all the
references relating to pop culture, or places in Vermont, or people we know or
whatever) so it’s often hard for him to follow conversations. But he’ll get
used to it after awhile, and people will get used to his (adorable) quirky way
of communication, so I’m not too worried.
And
also, I don’t know if you can tell by this post, but I feel pretty damn happy
to be here. (Although if I think about how we’ll probably be here for years and won’t be in Cambodia again
anytime soon I start to freak out, so I’m trying to ignore that part for as
long as possible.) Anyway, a big part of why I feel so happy is how amazing everyone has been to us.
Seriously, Sovann and I really have a knack at surrounding ourselves with
people who are ridiculously generous and help us out a ton. Having this place
to stay with Sara makes like so much
easier, and she’s been great about letting us eat her food before we go on a
major shopping trip, and making us feel at home, and being great company. And
my grandparents have been driving us around, they bought Sovann a fishing license
(!!), some snacks, and gave us some clothes to keep warm! Skyler has also been
giving us rides and buying us food. Dylan and Alanna got our whole phone
situation figured out, and Dylan has done annoying paperwork for immigration to
be Sovann’s official “sponsor” in the US. Alice (another aunt) has also given
us warm clothes. Basically, we’re just way too lucky. We hope to stop having to
mooch rides, food, and clothes off people soon, but for now we’re loving our
(fake) vacation :)
By the
way, if any of you want specific info in the next blog – or if you have any
questions for Sovann (I’m thinking of having an interview with him for a blog
sometime) let me know!
I love this for lots of reasons, but first and foremost b/c it makes it feel like you're not so far away. <3
ReplyDeleteLove this so much. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteJaz: This is great fun to read. Fabulous.I loved your earlier blog about relating to Sovann. You sure do write well about complex issues. In an email Sara sent to me she said that when she went walking with Sovann through some woods near Leddy Park, Sovann asked her if they needed to worry about land mines. Priceless. Tells you how lucky we are to live in this country. You go, girl! tom
ReplyDeleteI am really enjoying reading your posts.
ReplyDeleteFor future posts, I'd love to hear more about the process to get Sovann a visa to allow him to come to the US.
I think it would be fun to hear what he thinks about the Presidential race (not something you will be able to ignore I'm afraid).
I'd like to know what typically US foods he finds that he likes, or maybe even what other ethnic foods he gets to try in the US that you can't get in Cambodia.
Finally, of course I want to hear what your experience is like back here and trying to show someone new here how life is lived in the US.
PS-We met in Oct 2010 when I was there with my mom (who is on the board of the PLF). We were on the never-ending boat trip to Battambang with your mom and dad.